Dear Potential Mentors and Prayer Partners,
We would like to thank you for your willingness to come along beside and support us, as we seek to minister to grieving women. We know that you are well aware of the heartbreak that exists in the area of infertility and childloss. Although each one of us has our own unique story, we all have similar scars. These scars are not something that most people would consider “valid” or “worthwhile;” however, we know the truth. Praise God that we have the freedom to find victory in our battles, and also to seek out those, who are still fighting, and share the truth that will set them free.
Below, you will find some basic responsibilities for your role as a mentor or prayer partner. We only ask that you do your best to attempt the requested duties in a Godly and loving manner. If you encounter any issues or would like to make suggestions or comments, please feel free to email or call us anytime. We want your feedback! This will only work, if we are willing to listen to your concerns. We will also be informing the participants that they are welcome to contact us as well. We want them to feel comfortable and secure. We also know that some personalities may not “click,” and we want there to be room for changes and corrections, as needed.
Once you are assigned to a participant(s), you may choose to connect in person, online, by phone, or by snail-mail. You are welcome to work with each other to make your mentoring or prayer time become as profitable for you and your participant as you can. We want this to be practical and personal, so please, put in the effort to do this. These women are lonely and hurting. They need someone they can rely on and confide in.
We have also attached a confidentiality agreement. We would like to have actual signatures on file, just in case of any questions. We know that you are all responsible and trustworthy. Please, return the confidentiality form back to us, as soon as possible. You may mail to the following address:
Perfect Joy Ministries
PO Box 455
Apalachin NY 13732
If you have any questions, feel free to email or call us. We look forward to getting to know each of you better, and we thank God for the blessing of sending you to us. Thank you for joining us as we share God’s truth with women in need.
Holly M. Besser
Melissa Carswell, MA, BCCC
James 3 (ESV)
3 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. 2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. 3 If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. 4 Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.
How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life,[a] and set on fire by hell.[b] 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers,[c] these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water. 13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. 17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. 18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
Noun: An adviser.
Verb: To advise or train (someone).
Synonyms: adviser – preceptor – monitor – counselor – tutor
As a mentor, you will be asked to be an advisor to another woman or women. We ask that you use the Bible as your guidebook and source of truth. We know that you will use your discretion in regards to suggesting other Godly books or resources. If you are unsure of how to handle a situation or how to answer a question, please bring it to our attention, so we can help attain the proper response. We need to remember that we are representing God in all that we say and do, and we will give an account for each word we share. Remember to cover your counsel in prayer – pray for her and with her.
Noun: A person who takes part in an undertaking with another or others, esp. in a business or company with shared risks and profits.
Verb: Be the partner of
Synonyms: associate – mate – companion – fellow – consort
As a prayer partner, you will be asked to be a companion to another woman or women in the area of seeking God’s face. You will certainly share some risks and profits along the way. Again, as we mentioned above, you may contact us with issues at anytime. As a leader, you are coming alongside another woman to help her approach the throne of our Heavenly Father. You may find that praying for her on the phone is most comforting and helpful. Remember, Matthew 18:20 – “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” Be bold in prayer for these hurting women. They need your intercession for them.
Guidelines for Mentors:
- Cover your leadership and ministry in prayer.
- Commit to contacting your participant by email, with encouragement, at least once a week.
- Send a physical note of love at least once a month.
- Pray for or with your participant at least once a week.
- Mentors – use the information sheet from your participant to construct topics to deal with. Avoid the confusion and frustration of being unprepared. Have questions ready to ask, and answer their questions with Scripture as much as possible. We want to bring everyone back to Christ. He is the answer!
- Prayer Partners – try to contact your participant for actual requests a couple of times per week, if possible. You can work out a plan that works for both of you. Some of them may just want you to pray for them, but may not feel comfortable praying out loud with you on the phone. You could always send a prayer to them via email. It would encourage them to see how you are interceding for them.
- Do not be afraid to share absolute truth. As Pastor Murphy says, “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” Ask God for the wisdom to share the truth in the proper way and at the proper time. Don’t get ahead of God.
- On the first of each month, please send a quick update to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will allow us to keep good records, in case your participant needs to have a new mentor or prayer partner in the future. Of course, we want to be sure that progress is being made, but most importantly, we want to have the opportunity to pray for these participants and for you as you minister to them. Knowing what you are dealing with gives us the ability to pray more specifically. Also, as the leaders of this ministry, we are responsible for the “goings-on” of the ministry. We will answer to God for what happens under our care. “The buck stops here!”
Confidential Disclosure Agreement:
This Agreement is entered into this ___ day of ________, 200__ by and between ________________ , acting on behalf of Perfect Joy Ministries residing at PO Box 455, Apalachin, NY 13732 (hereinafter “Recipient”) and participants of Perfect Joy Ministries (hereinafter “Discloser”).
WHEREAS Discloser possesses certain ideas and information relating to infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, and other early infant death that is confidential and proprietary to Discloser (hereinafter “Confidential Information”); and
WHEREAS the Recipient is willing to receive disclosure of the Confidential Information pursuant to the terms of this Agreement for the purpose of mentoring and partnering in prayer;
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration for the mutual undertakings, the Recipient agrees as follows:
1.1 No Use. Recipient agrees not to use the Confidential Information in any way, or to manufacture or test any product embodying Confidential Information, except for the purpose set forth above.
1.2 No Disclosure. Recipient agrees to use its best efforts to prevent and protect the Confidential Information, or any part thereof, from disclosure to any person other than Recipient’s employees having a need for disclosure in connection with Recipient’s authorized use of the Confidential Information.
1.3 Protection of Secrecy. Recipient agrees to take all steps reasonably necessary to protect the secrecy of the Confidential Information, and to prevent the Confidential Information from falling into the public domain or into the possession of unauthorized persons.
2. Limits on Confidential Information. Confidential Information shall not be deemed proprietary and the Recipient shall have no obligation with respect to such information where the information:
(a) was known to Recipient prior to receiving any of the Confidential Information from Discloser;
(b) has become publicly known through no wrongful act of Recipient;
(c) was received by Recipient without breach of this Agreement from a third party without restriction as to the use and disclosure of the information;
3. Term and Termination. The obligations of this Agreement shall be continuing until the Confidential Information disclosed to Recipient is no longer confidential.
The Recipient has executed this agreement effective as of the date first written above.
|RECIPIENT (on behalf of Perfect Joy Ministries)|
|Signed: ______________________________ Print Name: ___________________________
Title: ________________________________ Date: ________________________________
Please sign and return to Holly Besser.